Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Parenting a toddler.

Yesterday, I reached my max.

You always hear people talk about the "terrible twos" but I never thought they were that terrible until recently. I'm sure it has a little to do with a new baby in the family, but three is looking like it's going to be much more difficult (and also so fun!!) than two ever was.

Sophia will be three next month.

Last Saturday I took her to gymnastics and left Silas to sleep at home with Aaron since he wasn't feeling well. It's a mommy and me class so I'm out there with her guiding and helping her at each station. And I kid you not, my child seems to be the only one running away from me and towards everything we're not supposed to be doing yet. ...or maybe all the other parents are way faster than me, catching their littles before they get too far. ... No, Sophia is a runner. And fast! Too fast for my floppy self. I couldn't help notice how quiet and calm all the other children were. Maybe we're just in a class full of timid toddlers. Hm..


Aaron took these at our first gymnastics class. Wish we had a better picture, but Aaron dropped his phone in water and now his pictures turn out a little off. Doesn't Sophia's face say it all though? Maybe she's just REALLY excited about gymnastics....

I just spent a while writing out everything that went wrong that morning at gymnastics and realized how whiny I must sound. Ah. Maybe she gets her whining from me... :/

After many tears from Sophia not getting her way and a humongous tantrum in the car over the color of her sticker, I've come to the conclusion that I think we may have spoiled Sophia.
Or are all toddlers like this?
Is this a first born thing?
Is this what we have to look forward to?
Three years.
Huge tantrums.
Constant whining.
Battles over every little thing.
The saying "no" to mom and dad.
Asking "why?" over every. single. thing.

What are we doing wrong? How do we get this under control?

Every day is a little more challenging than the day before.
Please tell me this pattern doesn't continue on into the teenage years.
Speaking of teenage. I was reading some stuff online over disciplining toddlers and came across the term "threenage." Sounds appropriate. Our little diva. Ha!

Oh, yeah.
I said Sophia was a "runner." She runs off and away from me constantly. It's out of disobedience maybe less than half the time, but that doesn't mean that it isn't frustrating.

For Sophia's first birthday we bought her an adorable tiny turtle back pack with a turtle hood you can choose to pull out and wear. It happened to be one of those "leash backpacks" but we've never used it as that. ...until now.

The other day at the mall, I was trying on a few things in Marshall's. Aaron was sitting right outside the dressing room holding Silas and Sophia was sitting in the chair next to him. When I came out, Aaron looked flustered and said Sophia ran all the way out of Marshall's and into JCPenny! I can see it now... Aaron has Silas in one arm, pushing the stroller with the other hand, frantically chasing after a squealing Sophia.

After that ordeal, I started using the turtle back pack leash while she learns to hold onto the stroller handle or someone's hand. Judge me if you must, but it's actually working out really well. When I take the leash off, she's pretty good about holding the handle now.
Add that to the list of "never thought I'd do           while parenting."

Yes, wearing Silas is much easier than hauling around a stroller, feeling like a circus. But I don't like wearing him when I need to have the diaper bag with us. Thinking of switching to a diaper bag back pack anyway.. Plus, we were going to the play place in the mall and had some snacks and water bottles in the stroller.

Last night I had worked hard on making a yummy chicken sweet potato hash, served over rice, with salad for dinner. Aaron was working late, so I set the table for myself and Sophia. As soon as I put her in the booster she started flailing around, crying and screaming about not wanting that food and tried to push her plate away.
My blood was boiling.
This happens way too often now.
I know it's our fault for being so lenient about what she eats and allowing so much junk in the house over the past year, but we're getting back on track with eating better and I'm ready for Sophia get jump on board!
Anyway, I didn't say anything, just took her down and put her on her bed and closed the door while she threw her fit.

And then I checked out.
I ate alone, fed Silas, and checked out. I didn't help Aaron with the bedtime routine. I didn't read Sophia a book or sing songs before bed. I didn't rub her back. I just kissed her goodnight, prayed with her real quick, and shut the door.

How do stay-at-home-moms do it?
If I were to work, I'd be working to pay for childcare since I don't have a degree. I really do believe in being at home with my children. I want to be the one teaching, influencing, and raising them. Plus, I just love it. :)
But learning how to parent and discipline is so challenging sometimes.
Especially when Aaron is at work.
Last night, I wanted to pull my hair out. ...or lock myself in the bathroom and eat a tube of cookie dough while crying.

Back to last night.
I checked out. I wasn't mad or mean... Just felt worn out from the day's meltdowns.
Worn from the encouraging, teaching, redirecting, and correcting my toddler.

Glad I didn't write this post last night. It would have been totally different.

Today I woke up thinking about choosing joy. An awesome woman of God spoke on this two years ago at a motherhood retreat I went to.
Choose joy.
Holy spirit often whispers that to me when I need to hear it the most.

Today is a new day and I'm choosing joy.
Joy in melt downs, that I can listen to Sophia's heart and help her work out her feelings.
Joy in the encouraging, that I'm the one that gets to encourage her that she can do it. Or should do it! ha!
Joy in the teaching, that I'm teaching her life skills throughout the day.
Joy in the redirecting. Because redirecting is a huge thing at this age! Redirecting her curiosity to more appropriate things with fewer boundaries.
Joy in the correcting. That I can practice godly discipline and discipleship with her.

I know three is going to bring many more challenges, but I'm also looking forward to it.
As hard as this age is, it is my favorite age.
I think I say that with every age. ;)

Sophia...
This sweet girl of ours is hilarious! She constantly has us laughing. Even when shes driving us crazy, she's making us laugh.
She is smart! I love watching her learn and remember things.
She is very verbal. Although she never stop talking, I'm glad she's able to communicate so well. The other morning Sophia woke me up, talking away! I said "Sophiaaaa.... I'm not ready to start talking yet..." In a kind of creepy, silly voice she said "... But I am." Ha Ha!
She knows no stranger. I'm smiling now thinking about how easy it is for her to make conversation with anyone everyone.
She is curious. Sophia may not like to listen and do what everyone else is doing (like gymnastics), but she loves exploring and learning on her own. Can you say "natural consequences" ?? Haha.
She has a tender heart, and is learning to be considerate and genuine. She just may need some reminders...
And she is PRECIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs