Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Healthy Cauliflower Crust Pizza!

OK, I've attempted this pizza before and it was a complete disaster... I mean, it was pretty good, but now that I've successfully made this deliciousness, I'll call the other one a disaster.

Here is the yummy goodness from tonight.


Lately, I've been in the kitchen a lot, experimenting with new recipes and trying to make most of our meals from scratch.

I'm pretty sure I saw cauliflower crust pizza on Pinterest before, so that's where I got the idea.

I love cauliflower. Love, love, love it! But even the first pizza I made tasted like cauliflower alone. Kinda not something you want to eat for a whole meal.

Anyway, this recipe is awesome and I'd reccommend it to anyone everyone! I found it yesterday while telling my friend Tish about the crust and decided to give it another try. I'm not sure how to post her site on here yet... So this is the only way I know how. Just wanna give the credit where it's due!http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2012/09/healthy-pizza-with-a-cauliflower-crust/

I'll post pictures of her descriptions, then post some pictures of my own with some brief descriptions.




I pretty much used a whole head of cauliflower, but maybe I just picked a small one at the store? Anyway, I grated it with a cheese grater since we don't have a processor and it worked just fine. Then cooked it in a pan for about eight minutes until it was translucent.You'd be amazed at the amount of water that's in cauliflower! Make sure you don't add anything in when cooking. Just start on low heat, then up to medium.

Oh, and just a little side note... Last time I put it in the microwave to cook for about eight minutes. It cooked fine, but was much more watery. I think that's part of the reason why it fell apart so bad.

Then I beat an egg, added a teaspoon of oregano, a teaspoon of basil, one minced garlic clove, and one cup of shredded pizza cheese mix, and added it to the cooked cauliflower.
Last time I used mozzarella, but I decided to give this blend of cheese a try and it was great! I tried to find something organic, but couldn't. So this cheese will do! I also forgot to get the cup of cheese in the picture. Oops!
I also forgot to get a picture of the crust after I put it on the pan. :( Super easy though. Just press your cauliflower/cheese mixture into a circle about 1/4 of an inch think. Then bake at 400 degrees. The recipie I followed said to bake for 25-30 minutes, but really, ours only took 15-20. Maybe it wasn't think enough? It also stuck to the pan around the edges of the crust, and was a little moist in the middle. Next time I'll need to make the edges thicker and middle thinner.

We got this awesome stone for a wedding gift and have yet to use it. I thought tonight would be the perfect night to try it out! Yeah! Little did I know you have to "season" it several times before using. Guess I'll have to look into that some more so I know how to make it last! Anyway, can't wait to use it!

While the crust was baking, I cut up some veggies for the toppings. We chose muchrooms, spinach, artichoke hearts, and pepperoni. Be sure you don't pile on too many toppings or it'll be too heavy and your crust will crumble. I also sautéed the mushrooms and artichoke hearts in extra virgin olive oil since they only cook on top of the pizza for a short time.
I also sprinkled a teeny tiny bit of shredded cheese and feta cheese over the toppings, too. Mostly for presentation since the crust had cheese in it already.

Here is a picture of everything we used. Well, I guess I forgot the spinach.. Really trying to go as natural and organic as we can. But for now, these items will do!
So the crust comes out, sauce and toppings go on, and pizza goes back in to broil for a few minutes. I only broiled it for two minutes and it was perfect!

And viola! Healthy cauliflower crust pizza!

Sorry some of the pictures came out bad. It was pretty late when we made this. Everything always looks better with the sun coming through the window!

As if you can't tell already, I''m so proud of my pizza! Mostly that it worked. And tasted UH-mazing!

I really thought I'd still be hungry after eating a few sclices since they were pretty small, but it was surprisingly filling. Yeah!

Before any toppings, a slice of crust alone (when divided into 8 slices) only has 50 calories, 2 carbs, and has 5 grams of protein! Wow. Can you say "pizza every night!" Ha, ha.

Last time, my crust completely fell apart.... I'm convinced it's because I microwaved it, and didn't add an egg to the mixture. It was still a little moist, don't get me wrong, but not near as bad! At least I was able to eat it like a doughy piece of pizza!
It also seemed greasy (see my finger? ew..) But that's because cauliflower is so moist, and I think it also had to do with the pesto we used.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with my pizza and am looking forward to having it again. And again. And again... :)

2 comments:

  1. Get in my belly! Looks like something I'll be attempting to make for Ryan and myself here pretty soon... did Aaron like it as much as you did? Since I got married I've realized Ryan will eat anything, but he's still sort of picky. It's strange. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he loved it! Aaron will also eat anything, but sometimes he'll comment a few times on how good the meal was, and this was one of those times. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs